07 Jun How to Extend the Life of Your Solar Pool Blanket
a Solar pool blanket, which are often called thermal blankets, are now a basic feature on the majority of swimming pools since they provide so many benefits. Solar pool blankets first became popular in the 1980s and now, due to technological advancements, they are more affordable than ever.
NOTE: SOLAR POOL BLANKETS DO NOT PROVIDE A CHILD SAFETY BARRIER
What is a solar pool blanket made of?
It is an extruded layer of film made of polyethylene that resembles the bubble wrap people use for packaging, but it’s more rigid and durable. The panels are supplied in 1.500m wide by the required length.. To make a solar pool blanket fit the dimensions of your pool, we would join the panels by double stitching the panels together with a polyester thread the same as what is used in the manufacture of leather shoes..
Solar pool blankets are usually 300 to 600 microns thick, with 300 microns in thickness being the least expensive, typically lasting just one season. Due to our high standards of quality, we only sell a 400 micron pool blanket, which has been UV treated with the required stabilizing additives. This product has an expected lifespan of 3 to 4 years.
Benefits of having a solar pool blanket:
- Can heat the water in your pool from 3 to 5 degrees Celsius
- Reduces the consumption of chemicals, which saves money
- Decrease of 98% in the amount of water evaporating, which saves money
- Insulates the water against the cool night air, which saves energy
- Condensation is prevented on indoor pools
- With double stitched seams you have a flatter, better looking pool blanket
Depending on the size of your pool, you can store one of our solar pool blankets using a roller station system or you can roll it up manually and store it away from the pool, alongside your house, in the garage or a storage shed.
How to extend the life of your solar pool blanket:
- The amount of chemicals in the pool water can affect how long your pool blanket lasts. To get the most life out of your pool blanket, make sure that the levels of Chlorine, acid and other chemicals are kept at no more than 1 to 3 parts per million. If your pool requires a shock dose of any chemicals, remove your blanket first. Do not put the blanket back on until you’ve checked that the levels are back where they should be.
- If your solar pool blanket is exposed to excessive chemical dosages for long periods of time, it will lose it’s colour and the bubbles will disintegrate and sink to the bottom of your pool.
- When you remove the blanket from the pool, you must store it out of the sunlight and under the protective sheeting that comes with it, so that it will not be exposed to UV rays.
- If the pool blanket is covering a pool with solar heating, water temperatures should not go above 34 degrees Celsius, since this will shorten the lifespan of the material.
- When you cover your pool with the blanket, place the bubble side face down at all times.
- With proper care and precautions, your solar pool blanket should last you as long as 3 to 4 seasons.